Thursday, May 8, 2014

Shibori

Michael Smith  ( http://www.michaelsilks.com/shibori_about.html ) says that in this website he is the youngest shibori artist still alive,and he is one of two people I found during my search for shibori artists.  I believe that I would find more if I could google in Japanese, but alas, I do not have that ability.  I do not know where he was born, but his etsy page says that he is based out of Asheville, North Carolina.  He generally makes shirts, dresses,and other garments, dying silk and cotton.  I see evidence of arashi and kumo techniques in his work,but he doesn't specify, and I don't know nearly enough to speak of it.  His work his mostly retail but very elaborate,and he seems like a guy who knows what he's doing and likes to do it.

.
These are examples of his work:





There is another artist I found who calls herself 'Shibori Girl,' though after a bit of creepy snooping I found that her real name is Glennis Dolce. I don't know anything else about her, but I really like her style of dying, though I don't know how much of it complies with the tradition of shibori.  She gives workshops on the art form, and is mainly a retail artist. 

This is an example of her work:


  I think that the last picture is very cool.  I think that is shibori dyed ribbon.                        http://shiborigirl.wordpress.com/ This is her webpage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment