Sunday, February 9, 2014

Two-In-One Final


This is my finished project; I think this picture is a bit too small to legibly read the writing, but you can sort of see where the letters stick out into the white space.  Overall, I think I was pretty successful in my attempt to portray my idea, and it looks much better than what I originally had in mind, which was turning the wings of a butterfly into the pages of a book.  This looks simpler but still has the same core idea.
     I am most proud of the bottom wings.  Most people notice the bigger top wings, or, at least, I usually do, but in drawing this butterfly I actually noticed the patterns on the bottom set of wings.  I think they are the best part of the entire drawing.  I also like how the black is so small that the words stick over the edge, so it looks like the black is actually made of the words, which was my original idea, before I realized that there would be too many white spaces if I did that for the tips of the wings. I also--and this has nothing to do with my drawing--just like the lines on the bottom wing, how they all connect to one, which swoops upward.  Because of that, I think I paid more attention to this section, which leads me to be more proud of it.
     If I could change anything, I would change the wings.  I am a perfectionist and I am obsessed with symmetry, to an unhealthy level, and even though I know that a butterfly's wings aren't exactly symmetrical in the flesh, it annoys me that on the right wing the bar between the orange spaces is bigger than it is on the right wing. Also, the black wing tips aren't so large in real life in comparison to the wings themselves.
     If we did this with color, I would have done watercolor orange around the edges of the butterfly, so it would've been a black-and-white monarch butterfly against the orange background. To sort of mix things up a bit.  
     I've incorporated the theme Two-In-One into this drawing by writing Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" outlining the black on the butterfly (I think I wrote the poem a total of four and half times around the edges of the butterfly).  I don't know if this is strictly 'two-in-one,' because my picture doesn't morph or compare the shapes of two separate items by combining them into one, but it contains two elements of art in one. The art of words and the art of nature.
      Maybe I should call it 'Message On Wings.'  But, maybe that would be a little cheesy.

                                                 Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment