Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Two In One -- In Progress

For my Two In One project, I am drawing a monarch butterfly with Robert Frost's "A Road Not Taken" written on its veins and on the edges of its wings--basically, a line of text in place of any definitive line on the butterfly. I am doing this piece in pencil, and I briefly thought about writing the words in pen, but it would've made the poem stand out over the butterfly, and I wanted the words to become part of the butterfly.
     Originally, I thought that I would write the poem only on the veins in the butterfly's wings, which would then appear to be a book, thus creating a two-in-one, but after looking at the shape of the butterfly and the position of the visible veins on the wing I decided that would look a bit cheesy.  So, my Two-In-One is less of a visual two-in-one and more of a conceptual two-in-one, I guess.
      One of the most problematic things that have come u in my creation of this project is the proportions of the butterfly.  I choose to do this project on a large piece of paper (I am not sure of the dimensions, but it's a large rectangle), with the butterfly's body a bit off-center. My wings were then drawn, and I found the right wing to be a foot in length.  When I drew the left wing a foot in length, it disappeared off the side of the paper.  I believe that I will keep the butterfly in its same position and have it go off the page a bit, but I don't know how proportionate the wings are to the body.  I believe it might be too small, but if I change the body then I would have to change the wings.  I'm going to attempt to find some way to alter the body without altering the wings too drastically, because I like the symmetry of the wings as they are.
      Also, the pencil is showing out to be a bit scratchy.  Hopefully I'll be able to smooth the shaded areas with smudging, but I'll have to figure out a way to get a dark, smooth area without using the tip of my pencil.
     For the white spots on the butterfly's wings, I'm going to be erasing, so they'll be gray, not white.  I won't do words around them because they would be really cramped and I want the poem to be legible.

   
This is the image I am basing my butterfly off of.




                            Ciao!  

No comments:

Post a Comment