Monday, November 16, 2015

"Between the Folds" Documentary

I didn't really like the documentary.  It was very annoying, how the narrator was very artistic and poetic?  I understand that origami is an emerging art form, but the transitions seemed very dramatic, and I was more interesting in learning about the more meatier subjects, like seeing the actual art, or maybe interviewing some more people?  I don't know, I guess I'm just being picky.  Also, I think that you'd showed up this video when I was in art 1.
   And I don't really know anybody's name, but the french man who was making the little gnomes and caricatures of people was very interesting.  If I could make anything out of origami, I would make that.  Though, I don't think I have the patience to learn for 32 years.
    Something that has always stuck with me since the last time I saw the video was the exponential growth of the steps that the origami models have experienced. From 10 steps to 200 in a handful of decades is really astounding.  And, I liked the models that the kids were showing off at the festival. I guess I would be one of those people who appreciates technical perfection over art form, because the fact that someone folded all those scales on that dragon will never fail to impress me.
    I also appreciated the dedication that man took to building the hexagonal flower-things, that he could pop out of the paper?  That was some very cool stuff. Though, I don't understand what he was saying when he spoke about 3/4s of the art being the process. I guess I can understand how processes can be really beautiful things, creating something from where there had been nothing before, but isn't art for the observer?  The artist gets enjoyment from the process, of course, and that's why they create the art, but the spectator just sees the finished project, as in all art forms.  I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment