Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Shading: Transition Drawing






1.  Explain how value is important in this drawing.
   Value is important in this drawing because the darks and the lights function as lines, sectioning off portions of the bird from other portions.  If this drawing didn't have value then you probably won't be able to differentiate between the different sections of the drawing, and it would just look like an oddly shaped blob.

2. Describe several challenges that you faced while creating this drawing.  What did you do to overcome these obstacles?
      Um, I guess a challenge that I came to was the wing in the last panel?  The perspective was a little off and the wing looks a little weird, but I think I recovered form that one well.  Because, I was looking over top of the crane while I was drawing it, and I sort of had to rearrange it in my mind in order to draw it correctly.  Also, I don't know what's going on in the second panel.  It sort of looks like a slug curled over and died.  I don't think I pushed the values enough there.

3.  How important was it to have crisp, clean edges to your wrapper?
      It was really important to have straight lines. Again, see the second panel.  My lines there got more curved, and it stopped seeming so realistic.  That drawing felt more cartoonish than the rest of the drawings.  I think that the straight lines gave it an edge of realism and made the drawings look more professional.

4. Explain how your interpretation of texture is essential in capturing the look of the object.
      Well, the texture I was drawing was paper, so I had it easy.  I think that I shaded evenly, and had an even mid-tone, which led to a consistency in texture, which is necessary if ones to believe that the origami crane is all made of the same thing.  And I think that greatly added to the look of the object, because the viewer is not focused so much on the texture, but on the shape, which was my purpose.

5. Name three things you would do differently if you were to do this project again.  What did you learn from this drawing?
     If I did this drawing again I would redo panel too, made the shadows better on panel two and three, and I would add more mid-tones to panel one.  But, from this drawing I learned that it is actually very easy to depict an area in lights and darks, without the aid of lines, f you just pay attention to where they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment