Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Scratch That, Reverse It: Scratchboard Final

1.  Describe the subject matter and the meaning of your work.
      The subject matter is more of my same magical realism theme, I guess.  It's a girl with wings, trying not to be blown away by the wind as it pushes her umbrella upwards.  I guess a girl with wings would have very light bones, so it might be a danger that she would be blown away.  I don't know if I drew this with a true meaning in mind. I just was thinking one day, and I saw that picture, and I wanted to draw it.

2. How did you use texture to enhance your picture?
     I think I used texture to show the tension in her wings as the wind pushes them along.  Feathers wouldn't be the same without texture, I don't think.  And the water was greatly enhanced by texture, though I don't really know why that was there.  I think that the texture was one of the main points of the composition, because without it, the picture would have seemed very bland.

3. How did you balance your artwork and create a well-organized composition?
     I think that I created a well-organized composition through texture.  Also, the balance between motion of negative space and objects was very well balanced, thanks to Ms. Rossi's input.  The added feathers added a lot to the composition, and make the piece look a lot more spontaneous.  Looking at it now, I really regret the water.  Or, at least, the line that separates the water from the rest of the piece.  I sort of drew that line thinking that it would be the basis for a sidewalk, and then I misplaced the puddle, so now it's a pool, but I really regret that whole bottom third.


4. How did you imply movement in your drawing?
     I think I imply movement with the wind and the feathers blowing everywhere.  And I think the girl's basic position implies movement, because she's reaching up to pull the umbrella back down to her.  Her limbs and her hair all suggest movement to me, as does the position of her head relative to the rest of her body.

5. How could you improve your artwork?
    I could not have that bunch of water in the bottom.  I think that would make everything look at lot better. Also, I think that because this was my first scratchboard I was very inexperienced in the medium, so I made a lot of amateur mistakes.  The wings don't look all that great, upon greater inspection, and some of the lines go in funky directions.  Seeing what some of my classmates did with their scratchboards made me reconsider my skills.

6.  How did you demonstrate a wide range of shading values?
      I think I demonstrated a fairly wide ranged of shading values through the water, and the wings and the girl's clothing, especially.  I tried to make the brights as bright as they could go, and keep the darks as implied as possible, but I found that very difficult because, again, I didn't plan as well as I should have, and I didn't really know what I was doing. Also, I found it hard to take away the lights, as I've mentioned before, and so I accidentally wound up taking some of the darks off instead.  I think that if I redid this scratchboard, I would have a better understanding of what I was doing, and would consequently have a better range of shading and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment