Monday, February 20, 2017

Concentration: The Fool

The Fool, or card 0 in the deck, is seen as an optimist who wears their heart on their sleeve and ventures fearlessly into the unknown.  Often pictured with a bindle over their shoulder and white dog at their heels, the card is seen as a sign of blithe innocence and freedom.The person whom I've chosen to represent this card is one of my oldest friends, Ryan, who remains upbeat, even annoyingly so, when I find it difficult to do so.
        There is a reason behind each medium that I choose, and for Ryan I chose prismas because I feel that the medium is immutable, and it takes a lot of effort to create something from prismas that is worth any attention.  Both of those descriptors, I feel, could be applied to my friendship with Ryan.  Although, prismas remain my worst artistic enemy.  I thought I had it down with the mice, but honestly, I should just stay away from faces.
       That's what Ryan said: "Maybe stay away from faces, dearie."

One of the final days

Close up of the face before I put other shading in
The face before I erased it the first time
Day 1, photo 1: I was so hopeful 
Beginning the face for the first time


I had high hopes still, on day 2
Say what you want about my artwork, but I do cloth
pretty well 





























































Final!

 Honestly, I don't think the final was as bad as it could have been. Did I make some poor artistic choices? Yes, but who would I be if I didn't?  The picture was taken in the gym lobby, and that's why I made the walls yellow.  I wish they weren't so yellow, but the color lends a more "prisma" feel to the entire pieces.  Like, it meets my expectations of what I think a prismacolor piece should look like.
      I think my most daunting obstacle is my lack of talent as an artist.  Because I truly dedicate myself to my work, and I try to make my artwork beautiful.  But my vision exceeds the my capacity to express it.  I hope I don't wind up insulting someone by drawing their face poorly.  Everybody I know deserves way more than that.
      Speaking in terms of the work, though, I think that this was one of the best prisma color things I have ever done my life. Not only is it relatively large, I believe I managed to keep a consistency of quality across the entire work, technique wise.  I wish, of course, that I had done better with color, especially his skin color, and better with the shape of his face.  To me, this picture just doesn't look like my friend. I know that the AP graders are unaware of what my friends look like, but I am personally disappointed in myself.
       His knee, shirt, and jacket, though. I am proud of those.




No comments:

Post a Comment