Sunday, March 2, 2014

Origami Reflection

This is a literal reflection on my origami project, not origami in a mirror.  ;)
I do not have a phone, so I could not take any pictures of my project while I was working.

3. Artists communicate through their work.
- self-expres
- include personal interests
- examine important issues
What is this artwork intended to say?
What issues are you examining through your artwork?
How is this artwork about who you are or what you like?


I came up with the idea for my project, which is a collection of folded paper, some pointy and some rounded, arranged in such a way as to (hopefully) create a topography of mountains and hills.  I came up with the idea because I wanted to re-create a scene from a book, but I couldn't fold the key element.  As I continued, I felt that I was turning my mountain range into something from where I used to live, Souhegan Valley, where I was always in sight of the mountains.  
    I don't know if this model examines important issues, or says anything poignant about the world, but it's a piece of my past.  It's strange to live down here, in North Carolina, where it's pretty flat.  So, this piece of art is about me, I guess, and how I miss the landscape of New England.


2.  Artists develop art making skills.
- learn techniques and processes
- explore media
Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?
Did you gain skill with familiar materials?

While watching the first video, I noticed that one man made an origami bowl by accordion folding the paper one way, and then another, so it was made up of a lot of squares.  then he folded the paper in a way that created a spherical shape, and the outside of it looked a bit like an armadillo.  I tried to do the same in created my hills, but sadly they came out looking more like armored turtles then armadillo-bowls.  I think that if we'd wet the paper before we'd worked it, like the artists did in the video, we would've have more decisive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment