Saturday, March 29, 2014

Portrait Project



Artists Develop Art Making Skills
     This was the second time I'd used the technique of shading everything in order to produce the contrast of the values on the skin, and I think it went pretty well.  Previously, I've drawn myself in this style, but I think it came out here. I've also experimented with eyes, noses, and lips in this style (all individually, and per the warm-ups done in class), but I've never put it all together, or done the cheeks.

I was drawing my brother, because I haven't made that abundantly clear yet.  Also, this is just the in-progress sketch.  I think I have a better grasp of the proportions on the larger paper, which is backwards for me, but I think it will turn out better than the one featured below.

Artists Create Original Art
      I think I got my basic inspiration from the portraits of Kehinde Wiley.  A normal person against a very striking background.  Though, it doesn't really look like anything Kehinde Wiley would do, because it's just my brother against a red background, not a commentary of the black male put in a backdrop reminiscent of European paintings.  So, it is a very simple representation of Wiley's work, and therefore it is mine.


This is the picture I drew.
This is my reference picture.  I think the camera made it a bit foggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment