Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Inspired Artist

I chose Guillaume Lachapelle for my 'inspired artist' because I saw his work featured on thisiscolossal.com.  Specifically, the images of the art that I saw on the site caught my attention.  I believe the show is called 'Visions.'  It's one object, or more like a scene, and mirrors are placed so it repeats over and over again.


This is probably my favorite picture of that show.  It looks like a whole world is incased within that little box.  And that the worlds he chose to represent were so typical.  A street lamp, a suburban development, a hallway, a subway car that seems to extend into infinity.  And, beyond that, what really interests me in these pieces is the light.
     Because, of course, the art is made out of the shaping of light, and the contrast that arises between both dark and light. The main subject is not light, of course, but especially in the shadowboxes of the streetlight and the development, there are little pin points of light that define the object you're looking at.  At least, in my perspective.  I obviously do not know what I am talking about at all.
     Also, some other pieces I saw of his, that were not in his show, had a similar quality about them, though they weren't as much optical illusions as these were.  I wouldn't know what to call it, but it was all very elegant intricate, and I really enjoy sculptures that value those characteristics.

This library is also stunning.  At least, I think it's a library? 
According to the site Art Mûr, Guillaume Lachapelle was born in 1974 in Stoke, Quebec.  He creates some of his work with 3D printers, though it didn't specify if that was how he'd created these works.  Much of his other work also seemed interesting and similarly conceptual.  His work has been shown all over Canada, and once, notably, in France.  He has started a kickstarted campaign to go to the Venice Biennale with Simon Bilodeau.  He is talked about by many people, but he doesn't seem to have his own site.

No comments:

Post a Comment