Thursday, September 24, 2015

Relief


For my piece, I made four tiles.  I'm waiting for them to be glaze fired, so I can paint the hand with acrylics.  I really liked my hand.  The hand in the middle.  I'm not usually good at drawing hands, so that's one of the reasons why I wanted to do one in clay, just as practice.  It came out far better than expected, though, so I'm very happy. 
     I used a process that was very much the same as the practice relief tile I made, with the leaves, except I think I made the tiles too skinny, or else I just scraped too much off, because they're very thin.  The bottom left hand one actually broke, and I gave up trying to fix it because that was breaking it more. So hopefully I'll be able to glue them together later. I'm pretty proud of my flowers, the Baby's Breath, I guess.  I attached a whole bunch of little balls of clay onto a raised up piece of clay through scoring, and then I just pulverized them with a clay tool, so they're all uneven and mushed in several places, and have a texture to them.  I show more detailed pictures when I finish.  I glazed the back a clearish/white, the daisy petals purple, and the centers yellow. 
   Next time, I think I'll be more carefully with everything.  Maybe more precise as well.  Halfway through, I got very exasperated with it, because the clay kept drying up and I had to redo the hand several times, so I didn't take as much time as I should've and broke it and made it uneven and didn't texture it as much as I would've liked to.  
    I made the piece for practice with hands, but also because I just had this image in my mind.  I don't know where it came from, but I liked the simplicity of the colors but thought that the actually sculpting would be complex.  


No comments:

Post a Comment