Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Concentration: The Hanged Man

I have always wanted people to see the world as I see it. That is what I attempt to do through art and writing. The Hanged Man wants to do the same. In a traditional tarot card, he is hanging by his foot, upside down, so he can gain a new perspective. For this card, I drew myself in a mirror, looking back at myself.  This is how I see. There are no symbols or addendums in this card beyond that.
   I waited three months to do this card. Three months of absolutely no charcoal whatsoever. It was very, very difficult.  And I think it's definitely one of the best, not only because it's charcoal, but because it combines all of my strengths--partial faces, backgrounds that seem really busy and concrete but are just a bunch of lines, confusing fabric shapes.

Sketching it out 

Adding value



















So, there it is. The same things as always, when talking about charcoal. I love the values I'm able to produce with it, and I really like the depth the mirror adds.  The hair was a little difficult, and I don't think I pulled off my leg as well as I could have, but in general, it's a pretty great piece. There's not a lot I can say to the struggles of making this, because it was relatively small and took me two class periods.  And I don't think that you can say that I incorporated techniques from other mediums here, because my skill with charcoal is the basis for my entire art skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment